AUTHORS: Ryan Barton-Restauro and Natalie Ginsberg
INTRO: Several Fox News Officials Ousted Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations
1 in 3 women is sexually harassed in the workplace, according to a survey done by Cosmopolitan. Yet, according to statistics gathered in 2015 by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), 75% of those who experience sexual harassment don’t report it while over half of sexual harassment claims result in no charge.
The tables have turned and several Fox News officials, including famed cable news personality, Bill O’Reilly, have all recently been ousted and resigned due to sexual harassment allegations that have come to light.
It began around July of 2016 when former Fox & Friends co-host, Gretchen Carlson, filed a lawsuit alleging that Fox News chairman, Roger Ailes, fired her after she refused his sexual advances. Several days after Carlson’s allegations were made public, six more women came forward also alleging sexual harassment from Ailes. By July 21, more than 20 women joined in on Carlson’s case of accusing Ailes of sexual harassment, ultimately resulting in Ailes resigning as chairman and CEO of Fox News.
First Ailes, next in line for sexual harassment allegations is (now former) famed Fox News television personality, Bill O’Reilly, who hosted the #1 cable news program The O’Reilly Factor for nearly two decades. According to an investigation conducted by The New York Times, Mr. O’Reilly (or Fox itself) discovered five women who were paid to not speak about their sexual harassment allegations and to not pursue lawsuits against Bill O’Reilly. The payments to keep the women quiet totaled about $13 million. Complaints from the women towards O’Reilly ranged from verbal abuse to unwanted advances. On April 19, 2017, it was announced that 21st Century Fox would be cutting its ties with O’Reilly. Two down, one to go.
Last but not least, the third and final executive to be ousted amongst sexual harassment allegations is…drum roll please…(now former) Fox News co-president, Bill Shine. Nearly 10 months after ousting of his close friend, Roger Ailes, Shine gets to join in on the caravan of sexual harassers leaving Fox news. On May 1, 2017, Shine resigned after being accused of “enabling a culture of sexual harassment” at Fox News. Shine allegedly played a role in the cover-up of the sexual harassment pervaded by both Ailes and O’Reilly at Fox News. According to the New York Times, “He was accused in several lawsuits of covering up Mr. Ailes’s behavior and dismissing concerns from women who complained about it.” Hm, seems we have a trend going for white men abusing their positions of power in order to sexually harass women. And they would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling women! (That was sarcasm, for those who couldn’t tell).
In the end, justice prevailed, albeit after an extremely prolonged period of time. Although, some sense of closure has been bestowed upon the women in the allegations against the men who perpetrated sexual harassment in the workplace of Fox News.
Gretchen Carlos Opens Up on Roger Ailes Harassment Suit (Video)
Fox News Co-President Resigns Amid Harassment Scandals (Video)
A tweet from Gretchen Carlson, one of the many women sexually harassed by Roger Ailes, reacting to his resignation.
Tweets from celebrities such as Cher, Stephen Colbert, and Stephen King condemning Ailes and O’Reilly.
- “1 IN 3 WOMEN HAS BEEN SEXUALLY HARASSED AT WORK, ACCORDING TO SURVEY” – Huffington Post 2-19-2015 by Alanna Vagianos http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/19/1-in-3-women-sexually-harassed-work-cosmopolitan_n_6713814.html
- “SEXUAL HARASSMENT AT WORK: NO MORE THAN HALF OF CLAIMS IN US RESULT IN NO CHARGE” – The Guardian 7-22-16 by Mona Chalabi https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/22/sexual-harassment-at-work-roger-ailes-fox-news
- “FOX NEWS BOSS FIRED ANCHOR FOR REFUSING SEXUAL ADVANCES, LAWSUIT ALLEGES” – The Guardian 7-6-2016 by Molly Redden and Sam Thielman https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/06/fox-news-gretchen-carlson-roger-ailes-sexual-harassment
- “SIX WOMEN ACCUSE ROGER AILES, RAISING SPECULATION OF OUSTER AT FOX NEWS” – The Guardian 7-29-2016 by Sam Thielman https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/09/fox-news-roger-ailes-gretchen-carlson-lawsuit
- “ROGER AILES ACCUSED OF HARASSMENT BY AT LEAST 20 WOMEN, ATTORNEYS SAY” – The Guardian 7-21-2016 by Molly Redden https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/21/roger-ailes-sexual-harassment-accusations-fox-news
- “ROGER AILES RESIGNS AS FOX NEWS CEO” – NBC News 7-21-2016 by Phil Helsel http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/roger-ailes-resigns-fox-news-ceo-n614396
- “BILL O’REILLY THRIVES AT FOX NEWS, EVEN AS HARASSMENT SETTLEMENTS ADD UP” – The New York Times 4-1-2017 by Emily Steel and Michael S. Schmidt https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/business/media/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-fox-news.html
- “BILL O’REILLY OUT AT FOX NEWS AMID SEXUAL MISCONDUCT ALLEGATIONS” – ABC News 4-19-2017 by Paul Blake http://abcnews.go.com/Business/bill-oreilly-fox-news/story?id=46887583
- “FOX NEWS CO-PRESIDENT BILL SHINE, WHO ALLEGEDLY COVERED UP SEXUAL HARASSMENT, HAS RESIGNED” – Slate 5-1-2017 by Christina Cauterucci http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/05/01/fox_news_co_president_bill_shine_who_allegedly_enabled_sexual_harassment.html
- “WITH FOX NEWS IN TUMULT, ANOTHER EXECUTIVE, BILL SHINE, IS OUSTED” – The New York Times 5-1-2017 by Michael M. Grynbaulm and Emily Steel https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/business/media/fox-news-bill-shine.html